Initially, I thought I wouldn’t need antivirus software for my iOS device since it is such a secure system. However, I discovered even iOS is prone to spyware, phishing, and other web-based threats. So I went through around 20 antivirus services available on App Store and listed down 5 best out of them in today’s article since high-quality antivirus software will protect your iOS device from malicious websites and other unsecured public WiFi threats.
If you are an owner of an iPhone or iPad, you must be aware that iOS is one of the most secure mainstream operating systems in the market. However, viruses and malware do exist even when it comes to iOS. But when your iPhone starts to freeze, open apps you have not launched previously, or is behaving in an unusual manner, it is most likely to be a virus. It might come as a surprise but even an iPhone is almost as vulnerable as platforms like android if a virus or malware interferes beyond a particular limit. More often this goes beyond what the iPhone can handle. And before it all goes haywire, you better prevent the virus outrightly with an antivirus app.
- While iPhones can get viruses, they’re exceedingly rare. That’s because the Apple iPhone security protections put in place
- The technically sophisticated runtime protections in macOS work at the very core of your Mac to keep your system safe from malware. This starts with state-of-the-art antivirus software built in to block and remove malware.
- Antivirus app like Bitdefender uses advanced Artificial Intelligence and other revolutionary technologies to detect and instantly block even minute threats that can cause your phone any trouble.
How Would You Check if Your iPhone or iPad Has a Virus?
- Your iPhone is jailbroken- if you think this is the case, you should delete all those apps that might seem suspicious, and if you think any recent app is the cause of this problem you can uninstall that app and try reinstalling it follow by restoring to factory settings.
- You find apps on your device that you don’t recognize
- If you find way too many advertisements and invasive pop-ups, this could potentially be a sign of malware that has infected your iPhone
- Keep a close eye on your data usage since a sudden unexplained rise in your cellular data can also be a sign that your iPhone has been attacked by a virus
- Your iPhone is overheating and fast drainage of the battery
Why do you need an Antivirus?
Antivirus software is practically the easiest and the most dependable way to keep your iPhone safe and protect from any kind of cybersecurity threats. Using traditional malware databases and advanced machine learning tools, antiviruses are able to quickly detect and safely remove these threats from all of your Apple devices, and because of the malware protections, they can even prevent malware from infecting your system in the first place. There are certain qualifications to look for while considering an antivirus program. To begin with, you should prioritize effectiveness and accuracy combined with fast virus scanning and in case you are not sure about what particular brand is most suitable for your iPhone, then this article has brought about the best solution you are looking for.
Keep in mind that these apps aren’t just virus scanners. They offer lots of useful features that will help you stay safe online, such as public wifi protection to integrated VPNs.
The 5 Best Antiviruses for an iPhone
Norton Mobile Security
Norton is a security app that has all the required features which are essential for keeping your iOS device safe. It detects malicious and phishing sites in third-party applications, text messages, or even call that carry the risk of virus. It continuously scans the dark web content for leaked personal details. In terms of features, the 360 antivirus app for iPhone does several useful stuff. For instance, it segregates spam texts that might have phishing attempts. It also notifies you about unsecured wifi networks and patches different device vulnerabilities. In addition, the Web Protection feature will prevent you from visiting infected websites. And if you would prefer to be aware if any of your personal information begets leaked, you can use the Dark Web monitoring feature for live alerts.
Advantages of using NORTON MOBILE SECURITY
- Detects viruses without raising false flags
- Protects usernames and passwords without getting erased
- Prevents hackers from interfering with your system
- Backs up data and stores it in the cloud
- Will allow you to manage your devices from an online portal
Moreover, the Norton antivirus app for iPhone and iPad allows you to enable a VPN.
If you are looking for an exceptional antimalware solution for your iOS, this application would be perfect can be an excellent solution. This will allow you to scan your email address for potential breaches for free which will let you know about your security status online which is one of the best advantages of using Bitefinder as an anti-malware application for your iPhone.
This app also scans network connections and blocks anything that might seem suspicious. It also includes a VPN which has a limit of 200 MB per day which means there will be no need to download a separate VPN third-party app for regular browsing and occasional connections to wifi networks that are not protected. Bitdefender is a well-rounded security suite with certain useful features. The usage of this application ID is also quite convenient as the features it supports are displayed right at the bottom of the window.
Again, the premium version allows you to ensure that your phone is safe from any sort of online threat. You can also refer to the status of other devices using the same Bitdefender account. You will also have the option of changing the root control settings.
Advantages of using BITDEFENDER
- Capable of high-rated virus detection
- Includes a basic package with premium features
- Allows anonymous and safe web surfing
- Provides protection from physical thefts
- Allows safe conversations on popular social media platforms
- Extends battery life on your smartphone
In its basic form, it brings forth one of the best antivirus engines, a VPN, and a lot of other efficient goodies that will have a huge impact Avira antivirus is an all-in-one security, privacy, and performance tool for MAC which combines award-winning antivirus protection with a junk file cleaner, a password manager and a free VPN.
AVIRA periodically wipes out its virus definition files, replacing specific signatures with generic ones for general ones for a general increase in performance and scanning speed. Founded in 2006, it is a German multinational computer security software company primarily known for its Avira Free Security antivirus software. Avira has been owned by American software company NortonLife Lock since 2021 whereas previously it was owned by investment firm Investcorp. This antivirus is not as feature-heavy, it’s still a very reliable and solid application and is a great lightweight all-rounder tool for iOS devices.
AVIRA itself is a very clean, hassle-free, and minimalistic app and its respective features are great for being added to iOS protection.
Advantages of using AVIRA
- provides fast encrypted internet access with a no-logs guarantee
- adds anti-phishing and data breach monitoring
- Provides anti-theft protection
- iOS updater, call blocker, contacts backup
When we are considering antivirus software, McAfee should be amongst the first companies that come to mind. Founded in 1987, they have been keeping computers safe from viruses for the longest time, over thirty years to date. In 2023, McAfee remains one of the world’s most popular antivirus brands but of course, there is more to this.
McAfee is said to be one of the best antivirus tools by security experts and users respectively since it consists of praiseworthy malware detection rates, lots of extra features like a password manager and a VPN, and last but not least extremely helpful customer support.
Advantages of using McAfee
- Allows you to fix security issues remotely
- Prevents scam attempts in their tracks
- Includes an encrypted folder for document storage
- Removes malware or ensures return payment
- Protects an unlimited number of devices
- It is user-friendly, has cheap and multi-user options, and VPN
This is a minimal free iOS security third-party application that comes along with a security breach scanner, WiFi protection, and a secure QR scanner and will also check your email against a massive database of breached logins.
Kaspersky is considered to have a long-standing reputation for protecting against online threats with local scanning and cloud-based machine learning. This particular antivirus consists of valuable features such as parental controls, password manager, stalkware protection, a secure browser for online transactions etc.
Kaspersky provides anti-malware protection that secures the web traffic flowing through your Internet gateways. By removing malicious programs and providing secure Internet access, Kaspersky ensures your employees can work more productively.
Advantages of using Kaspersky
- Features a robust scanning and detection system
- Undoes damage caused by virus infection
- Cleans and optimizes your system
- Protects data from theft and accidental loss or damage
- Includes a limited password manager, a data breach scanner, a limited VPN, and WiFi protection.
Are Free Antivirus Apps Safe for iOS?
On the App Store, there is a tonne of free antivirus programs making all kinds of claims. Many apps promote virus scanners, but Apple’s built-in security means that iPhones and iPads don’t require them. But even the greatest free antivirus software has drawbacks, so none of them are flawless. Free antivirus won’t provide you with complete iOS protection against the most recent dangers, though. The best features are purposefully withheld from free antivirus users; for example, phishing protection and a VPN with unlimited data are only available with premium memberships.
Although iOS devices don’t require the same level of comprehensive antivirus protection as other platforms, it’s still important to maintain security against phishing schemes, data breaches, and other threats that target iOS users – and these are sometimes not covered by free antivirus software. A few simple ways to protect your iPhone from future viruses, malware, and data leaks are as follows:
- Do not jailbreak your iPhone and only install apps using App Store
- Cybercriminals have a regular tendency to explore public Wi-Fi vulnerabilities to steal information and distribute malware therefore it is highly recommended to avoid using public Wi-Fi
- Restrict your app permission
- Stop procrastinating and update your iPhone on a regular basis
Apple’s built-in security features are pretty good, but they can’t protect you from online threats, phishing links, unsecured WiFi networks, and privacy breaches that all threaten your data. In today’s highly-connected world, antivirus for iPhones and iPads is essential for protection against threats like viruses and other malware, hackers, online snoops, and other risks to security and privacy. This article has listed down the 5 best antivirus apps that would effortlessly work for your iOS if you face any further problems, you can always reach out to me in the comments section and I will be back with a plausible solution.
Will antivirus software drain my phone’s battery?
The answer is yes, any antivirus software will inevitably drain your phone’s battery and it is just not the battery of the device that will be lost, these third-party apps also consume data, storage, and power on android and iOS devices.
Does iOS have a built-in antivirus?
As previously mentioned, iPhones are the most protected security wise and even if they get viruses, it is extremely rare.
How do I know my iPhone is secure?
This is possible only if you have a personal Apple ID which uses two-factor authentication, you can avail Safety check on your iPhone. You should also be able to go to settings followed by privacy and security and then safety check.
Can I check my iPhone for viruses?
There is practically no way to scan for a virus since your iPhone cannot have a true virus. And if your iOS is updated and if it is not jailbroken or sideloaded apps there is no potential risk of any malware either.